Saturday, February 7, 2009

Empanada Throwdown

Last weekend my family gathered for an early birthday party for my dad, and an empanada cook-off. We all brought different ones, 6 in total. My mom made her traditional empanadas, using ground turkey, chopped hard boiled eggs, raisins, olives and spices, and another kind with smoked mozzarella. I love how mom brushes hers with egg and sprinkles sugar on top.


My sister-in-law brought two kinds, spicy turkey, and (my favorite) spinach and feta. My brother-in-law brought the winning chicken, corn and cheese empanadas (which I obviously didn't try). It was interesting to see the differences in shapes and textures. My mom used frozen puff pastry sheets. Pie crust was used from both in-laws, but I chose to use a can of Grands biscuits.

I carefully peeled each biscuit into two, getting 16 pieces from one can. I rolled each round out to about 6 inches, and filled with some mashed up black beans that I'd sauteed with garlic and spices. I added a pinch of shredded cheddar, then topped it with a small spoonful of chopped bananas, which I'd also cooked briefly in some olive oil and salt. After folding them over and sealing, I also brushed mine with beaten egg, but they are just as good without.

The sauce was a mixture of sour cream, mayo, a splash of milk, lemon juice, chopped garlic, and a pinch of thyme, basil, and savory.


The possibilites are endless with these little delicious savory treats! Pin It

1 comment:

Banana said...

yuuuuuuuuuuum! you always make me so hungry before i eat breakfast. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...