Sunday, July 29, 2012

Capturing the Season's Best

I've been busy tending to my garden and putting up some lovely produce.  Home preserving means that you get exactly what you want; nothing more, nothing less.  This is from my own garden and local orchards and farms.

This is my favorite local Farmers Market.  (Morgan's Grove Market)  Not only do we get produce, but handmade goods as well!




 My own garden. Swiss Chard, butternut squash, cucumbers, carrots, beets, zucchini, cantaloupe, tomatoes, and LOTS of dill!  Coriander has gone to seed and has been dried and stored.  Another small garden near my deck has more herbs, celery and more cucumbers.




 First canning of the season: japanese cucumber refrigerator pickles.  (from the Shepherdstown Farmers Market)




 My first successful beets! Last years were skinny and mostly greens.  I added phosphorus to the soil before planting, after researching and realizing my soil lacks it.  It's all been a lot of living-and-learning! ;)




One of my favorite breakfasts!  Scrambled eggs with beet greens and basil.




 Vanilla peaches and vanilla Peach Butter




 Zucchini fries!  Flour, egg wash, then dusted in cornmeal and rice cereal (not the baby food kind!)




 Roasted Corn Salsa and Peach Nectar.  The salsa is the best I've made and I'm looking forward to making some daiquiris with this nectar!

What are your favorite home canning recipes?

Pin It

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

what sweet blog! I enjoyed reading, please feel free to check mine :)

Sky and Earth said...

hi Justine , everything looks so delicious....congratulation...

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Great Job..... Keep it up.
http://sonuxrt.blogspot.com/

Wedding sarees said...

I am glad to see that people are actually writing about this issue in such a smart way, showing us all different sides to it. You are a great blogger.

ps3 jailbreak said...

I’m impressed, I must say. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the head. The issue is something that not enough people are speaking intelligently about. I am very happy that I stumbled across this in my search for something relating to this.

Patryk But said...

Nice blog :) Don't stop! <3

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...