Tonite I was craving something savory and comforting. Mmmmhhhh! Biscuits! The leftovers will make great breakfast sandwiches, or a yummy snack with butter or honey. The biscuits were derived from this recipe. I wanted a less sweet variety, so I subbed out the maple syrup he originally called for. I hate having to roll doughs out and use cutters. Re-rolling the dough always toughens it and who really cares what shape they are? Mine were rectangles. :o)
Cornmeal Biscuits with Veggie Gravy
First, prepare your ingredients for the gravy.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 small onion, chopped. (I used about 1/4 of a large Vidalia)
- 1 medium carrot, diced small
- 8 spears asparagus, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms (I used a combination of button and shiitake)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vegetable stock paste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cup cornmeal
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp cold shortening
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1 cup milk, plus 1 Tbsp
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients. I used the pastry cutter to do this. Slice the butter into about 10-12 pieces.
- Using a pastry cutter, two butter knives, or your fingers, work the shortening into the dry mix until crumbly.
- Add the butter, and continue to mix in. This time, keep the butter in somewhat larger pieces.
- Add 1 cup milk. Using a wooden spoon, mix until it starts to come together. Dump out onto a floured surface.
- Knead the dough gently until all the ingredients are incorporated nicely.
- Roll the dough out to about 10 by 8 inches or so. Fold the right side towards the middle, then fold the left side over the middle. Turn the dough 1/4 turn and roll out again. Repeat 2 more times.
- Finally, roll the dough to about 1/2". Using your hands, shape the dough into a rectangle. Cut into 8 or 12 pieces. Brush remaining milk over biscuits.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for about 16-20 minutes, depending on size.
- Over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 5-10 minutes, depending on how tender you prefer.
- Add chopped carrots. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in asparagus, cook 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and garlic. Continue cooking for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the vegetable broth base and spices. Add flour and mix it into the vegetables. Cook 1 minutes more. Add the milk, stirring vigorously to incorporate.
- Allow the mixture to cook and thicken about 4-5 minutes, adding more milk if you prefer a less thick sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve over sliced biscuits and enjoy!