Sunday, March 22, 2009

For her wee Bum

My dear neice celebrated her 2nd birthday last week. I can't believe it myself! My dad made her a wooden table and ordered matching chairs. I decided to make her some little seat cushions and make it a family affair.

I bought 2" foam from Joanns. We traced around the seat of the chair to make a pattern from an old paper bag. I cut it out and traced it on the foam with marker. Turns out the piece I bought was the PERFECT size!

Next came the cutting. I used the best serated blade I have in my knife collection--this shitty wavy-type knife. It worked, though.

After cutting it out and wrestling with the knife to get thru the damn thing, I trimmed it a bit with some scissors.

Not that our angel of a child ever would, but just in case, I covered the cushions first in clear vinyl so that any spills would easily get wiped away. The outer cover would be washable.

Vinyl is not like any other fabric for sewing. It gets sticky. You can put tissue paper under and above your stitching area to keep it moving, or, go on eBay and get a Teflon foot like I did. Use a long stitch length when stitching vinyl to prevent a perforated edge affect on the seams.

Next came stuffing the vinyl covers. I folded the foam in half and stuffed it inside. Ya gotta keep it squeezed the whole time or it will start to tear the seams. Mine did just a little, but what the heck--it's on the inside and I jsut stitched right over it. Close the seam by pressing the whole cushion down, and moving your needle all the way to the left.

I made the cushions with 2 different fabrics, so she'd have a choice. Also, in case one side gets dirty, my sis can flip the cushion over for one more go before it goes in the wash. I used a pink fabric all around the sides. On one side, I used the matching print from the fabrics we used for her crib set and quilt. The other side is this weird looking mouse print. I wanted this to be easily removed for washing, so I put zippers on the sides. Good thing I checked the pattern once again for the placement of the velcro tabs because I almost positioned those in the wrong place like I did for the zippers!

Ahh well. The next set will be postioned properly. At least Mya can look down and see the print in the right direction when she's sitting at it!

Pin It
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...